Cookie Dough SuperFood Smoothie

I made it, I drank it, and I immediately thought of you all, my readers, my friends, the people with whom we have connected in real life and on social media.  It was the greatest thing my tastebuds had tasted in weeks, maybe months, definitely the best since that delectable bite of a Madeleine I snuck at a Costco sample booth.  After that bite, I almost fell off the wagon as I am so very weak.  I love junk food, it’s my emotional stabilizer, my therapist, my mood enhancer.  But, alas, it does not love me, it’s such a traitor, hence, the body I have today:

susie body

As most of you know, I am a RAW foodie, the majority of my food comes from it’s most unaltered state.  Smoothies, RAW veggies, RAW fruits, fresh juices and on occasion, dehydrated treats made in my totally amazing Raw Rutes dehydrator, which you can read more about HERE.  And while about 80% of my diet is RAW, the other 20% is easily junk food … cookies, brownies, candy oh my!  It’s horrible, it’s awful and I feel like an addict.  And so, this time around, this time when I made the promise to myself to feel better, to get healthier and to ultimately look better I set out to find RAW smoothies that were delectable, that satisfied my cravings while at the same time being undoubtedly healthy and beneficial to my quest.

And through lots of trial and error on behalf of many RAW food chefs, I found the ultimate smoothie.  It’s full of goodness for beauty and heart health.  So without further ado, let me introduce you the Cookie Dough Smoothie.  Found in my Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes" target="_blank">Superfood Smoothie Cookbook written by Julie Morris.  If you are just starting out in the RAW food arena, this book is a must.  The Cookie Dough Smoothie does not actually have any cookie dough in it, and it doesn’t really taste like cookie dough, but it is oh! so sweet and chocolatey and fabulous!

Cookie Dough

¼ cup raw pecans
¼ cups medjool dates (about 3-4 large fruits)
1 cup very ripe pear (I substituted an apple)
2 tablespoons Lucuma powder
1 teaspoon maca powder
1 ½ cups almond milk
2 tablespoons cacao nibs
2 cups coconut ice (I hadn’t made any and substituted regular ice)

 Yummy!!

Before I ventured into superfoods I hadn’t heard of many of these ingredients as you won’t find Maca Powder listed in any Better Homes & Garden Cookbook, but incorporating them into your daily lives is so vital to your overall feeling of health, that learning about them is imperative!

For instance, Maca is a radish-like root which offers a malty earthy flavor and best used in creamy smoothies with nuts and seeds because it has a pretty potent flavor.  Maca is a true energy food!  It helps balance stress and maintain a balance of equilibrium.  It has been used to improve everything from chronic fatigue to anemia to lack of libido.  In fact, the woman who helped me find it years ago in a health store told me to keep it away from any teenage children as it is seriously a libido booster!  I haven’t told Dan, as he’d probably sprinkle it into every smoothie I made, and Dan … he doesn’t NEED maca, if you know what I mean!!  LOL

Then there’s Cacao, obviously, my favorite of the superfoods!!!  Obvious because Cacao is the raw form of chocolate AND because of it’s notoriety for being anti-aging, energizing, health-giving and again, chocolate!  It also has calcium and iron, two things I think most novice and failing superfood adventurers lack and is said to increase serotonin in the brain.  It is also said to be Off the Charts in its levels of antioxidants too which means it’s exceptional at fighting free radicals and aging and at promoting longevity!!  I can get behind Cacao in every smoothie I make!!!

Then there’s Lucuma, which I bet most of you have never heard of, I hadn’t even heard of lucuma until about 6 months ago and I’ve been a RAW foodie for years!  Lucuma is a South American fruit that tastes like a mix between a mango and a sweet potato. This low-glycemic sweetener contains many nutrients including beta-carotene, iron, zinc, vitamin B3, calcium and protein, but doesn’t quite qualify as a superfood!  However, it’s a great addition to any RAW food pantry!

So there you have it … the longest way to deliver a delicious gourmet superfood smoothie recipe ever!  I’m always in search of new recipes, foods and ideas to help keep me and my family energized, healthy and looking young, so feel free to expend any knowledge you have in the comment section below!!!  Thanks and have a really fantastic week!!!

More from Susie Kellogg

Top Ten Perks of Life On The Road

The RV industry is riding a major boom and you might be...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.